Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day 5-Drs appointment

So I'm a day late. First off thank you all so much for taking the time to read and comment. It feels so awesome to read all the comments. From the bottom of my soul, I truly appreciate it.

So yesterday was my first Dr's appointment and I've already lost 3kilos. Which turns into about 6pounds. And thats in about 2 weeks. At least thats when I last weighed myself at my bestie, Sarah's house on her fancy scale. So heading in the right direction. The day I actually notice something will be a fun post. So far everything looks the same, but I must admit everything feels different. At the end of the day, thats what I'm looking for. Obviously,  I want to lose weight, but the main reason we all want to lose weight is to feel good. To feel motivated, to feel accepted, to feel loved, to feel admired, to feel stared at for the right reasons, not the wrong. Especially here in Colombia, people are extremly critical of overweight people. I get starred at, I here the sly remarks on the street as I walk my happy ass to the gym. Guess what? I dont give a shit!! Feels good to be open with my family about my weight. As a child it wasn't easy. With family nor friends. I have very painful memories, where my family at the dinner table would skip me for the food. Usually you pass the food to the next person, and I got skipped. As if starving myself was the answer. I was only 9. Going through really hard times, and all I wanted to do was eat. But I got skipped. No wonder I would eat late nights alone. No wonder I became a person that would wait for everyone to go to sleep so I can sneak out and nibble on something delicious. But thats all changed. Now I'm looking at Colombia as an opportunity instead of something to be fearful of. I feel like I face my fears everyday. Last night talking to my mom until 230am after a late movie with Camilo, we discussed how it was only day 5 and so much has happened. I feel so different. I feel great! Most of all, I feel accepted by me, therefore everyone else accepts me to. They can see my determination, they see my strength. So up to this point no one is daring to challenge me on how I look, instead they are embracing me as an important, mature person. I'm not that little girl anymore. I will defend myself. I will win too. LOL. And guess what,  I will steal back that damn plate that skips me. I deserve to eat whatever I want. The great part is that what I want these days, are healthier things. So its a win win situation.
Ok so Dr appt went great. hes an amazing guy. Very calm and awesome energy. It seems like surgery is in play. It may happen as soon as 10 days from now. I will be having the Gastric Sleeve its called. Not as drastic as the bypass and a little stronger than the lap band. Some may be very skeptical about all of this and I get it. I'll accept any criticism about it. But guess what? I'm the one that has to walk in these shoes. I'm the one that has to live in this skin. I want a healthy life. The surgery is simply a tool. It is not my solution. I dont believe in magical surgeries. I still have to put 80% of the effort. and I'm prepared to sweat tears an cry blood for it. I'll keep you posted. Now going to eat an amzing lunch with my family.
Thank you for reading today.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for any grammar errors. I dont proof read much. and I write like I speak. So Shannon, sorry if this kills you. Once my year is up, I'll publish this and Shannon you can proofread the hell out of it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's simply amazing that you've returned to the place that you fear, to face your fears and defeat them. You are so strong... whenever I return to Michigan, I feel this lingering sense of uncertainty, self consciousness, embarrassment, regret and overall discomfort. I know I have both positive and painful history there... but I can't pinpoint specifically what it is that makes me feel those things upon my return. I think it's amazing that you can and that you're facing them. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete